Monday, March 3, 2008

The Problem with Dieting

For me, the problem has been all about my attitude. After successfully "doing" a few diets, I found myself preoccupied with the notion of no longer forbidding food. Even though I intellectually understood that making up for lost time would simply pack the pounds back on, that's what I was feeling. I wanted to eat the foods I had deprived myself of (sorry for the grammar here). I wanted all those foods I hadn't eaten. And, instead of simply saying, "Yes, you can have a little this week." or "try just a bite or two" or "get at to-go box and half this enormous plateful they're calling 'a serving'"- I just said "Go for it". And I did it over and over.

So, after a year and a half of an intense diet - and a weight loss of 68 lbs - I've put 50 back on. (And after this past weekend eating Mexican food in San Antonio, who knows how much more!) I haven't been to Curves in weeks. I missed the last WeightWatchers meeting. I blamed it on relatives in town, sleepovers, birthday parties, etc. Sure, it was a busy week - but what week ISN'T? This is what my life looks like, and I simply have to fit in time for HEALTH. That's probably how I need to phrase it. No more choosing a diet. Time to choose HEALTH.

No comments: