Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pinning Away!

Every blog I've read that talks about Pinterest, shares that the blogger doesn't need another time sucker at the computer.  Yet, there they are, inviting people to join them on Pinterest.

I, on the other hand, make no bones about my procrastination tendencies. It seems that I should simply share my tools with you. Pinterest is one of them.

For those who don't know, Pinterest is actually brilliant! My mind really starts to spin when I think of all the applications for it. Simply put, it's a visual bulletin board of all of your online bookmarks.  That alone will help so many of us who click "Bookmark this page" and seldom get back to that long list of treasures. Now, the more visual among us can glance at our "bulletin boards" and get a visual nudge toward what we thought was interesting that late night we were cruising the net for Christmas cookies, or home decor, or creative inspiration.  The added bonus is that you can "Follow" someone and see what THEY found on various topics. Soon, you'll know who shares similar tastes and you can can subscribe to one or all of their bulletin boards. It's a sharing opportunity that takes no time at all.  And you can look at other people's

Here's a screenshot of my Pinterest page. I have a bunch  of different bulletin boards which are basically categories for stuff I've found on the internet.


I think it's really interesting how quickly Pinterest is taking hold. I see the little red Pinterest logo popping up all over the place.  They make it so easy to add their "Pin It" to our navigational bar, and then when you just stumble across something interesting, you can Pin It to the bulletin board.
For some reason, when I first started using Pinterest, it reminded me of when my teens had Myspace. They'd upload banners and graphics to their pages. Sometimes it was some saying, other times a picture.  And even with early Facebook days, we could share buttons with each other just for fun. All of this showed us heading in this very visual direction.  The best graphics or icons were very eye-catching, and so is Pinterest.

If I had had this while we were homeschooling the kids, it would have made it so easy to organize what interested each of them. I could put fabulous pictures up they could check out; if they were intrigued, they could explore some more.  I used to send them links in emails, but if I had something more visual, I think they would have liked it better.  I hope homeschoolers will take Pinterest and figure out great things to use it for!

I like it also for speed of use. I may not have time to look more into a website, but I don't want to discard it yet. Pinterest allows me to set it into a themed board, and get back to it when I have the time. In the old days, I would have probably just let it go, so as not to clutter up my messy bookmarks even further. 

The only drawback I  see is that the process for getting started is just a little bit tedious. You have to receive an invitation. I can send one to you, as a Pinterest member, and it just takes a day to get it confirmed. Let me know if you're interested.
Follow Me on Pinterest
C'mon - Get Pinning! Let's share cool websites!
Get inspired with me!




No comments: