Monday, December 19, 2011

When the Leaves Finally Fall

 I know the calendar says it should be Winter, but here in Central Texas, it's just now Fall. You may be braving blizzards and shoveling snow, but here on my back porch, this is what Autumn looks like.

There's a chill in the air, but it's still comfortable to sit out on the deck.  My "big" tree in the backyard is usually the last to lose its leaves. A big wind knocked half the bright yellow leaves onto the patio.  Last year, the red berries looked so beautiful contrasting with those yellow leaves.  But the birds seem to have taken care of the berries this year.

The dogs and I sit here watching the birds descend on the bird feeders. Then, something startles them and there's a WHOOOSH of birds doing a quick relocation to the bamboo in the back.
It's a little shocking how many birds you can have in such a small yard. But my bird feeders stay full and the sparrows of the neighborhood know it. I think I have the fattest birds in town.

I like the peacefulness of my deck in the Fall.  The smell of gingerbread in the oven. The leaves falling as I type. Dogs quiet and calm, just taking it all in.

I like mornings like this.

No comments: